In the coming weeks, the city, state, and federal governments will be formulating, debating, and voting on their budgets for the next fiscal year. The budget decisions that legislators and Mayors, Governors, and the President make will influence many aspects of our lives, including spending on public food benefits, food security, nutrition programs, institutional food, and regulation of the food industry. This forum provides an overview of the food-related decisions coming up in the next year, the governance and political processes that will influence these decisions, and the opportunities for advocacy. After a panel discussion, participants will have an opportunity for Q and A with panelists.
- Cassandra Stuart, Budget and Policy Analyst, NYC Independent Budget Office (IBO), and Jacob Berman, Assistant Director, Social and Community Services, NYC IBO
- Leah Kabran Eden, Executive Director, Co-founder, Equity Advocates
- James Parrott, Director of Economic and Fiscal Policies, The Center for New York City Affairs, The New School
- Kelly Quintero, Policy Director, Feeding America
- Nicholas Freudenberg, Distinguished Professor of Public Health, CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy; Co-founder and Senior Faculty Fellow, CUNY Urban Food Policy Institute