Submission Deadline: 02/28/2021 at 5pm EST
Please submit all letters of interest (LOIs) and supporting documents via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Internship LOI” in the subject line.
The CUNY Urban Food Policy Institute is a research and action center at the CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy. The Institute provides evidence to inform urban and municipal food policies that make equitable access to healthy, affordable food a priority and promote intersectoral perspectives that link nutrition, health, racial equity, democratic engagement, sustainable communities and a valued workforce.
The Institute is now accepting LOIs for students interested in internships for spring, summer, and fall 2021. The LOI should focus on one of the Institute’s current research areas listed below. If there is a food policy topic related to the six areas listed below but not explicitly mentioned, and in which you have strong interest and the desire to further develop through this internship, please include it in your LOI. We will be reviewing applications in early March and contacting selected interns by 03/31/2021.
|Central Harlem Neighborhood Food Environment||Central Harlem has seen a series of changes to the food environment. The Institute is engaged in research related to these transformations.|
|Food Policy Monitor||Our work in this area is focused on emerging trends in food policy at the city, state, and federal levels and regional food planning.|
|COVID-19 & the Food System||The Institute is monitoring and assessing New York City?s food system response to COVID-19.|
|Food Labor||Issues impacting food workers related to compensation and working conditions are currently being researched by the Institute.|
|Unhealthy Food/Predatory Marketing/Ultra-processed food||Our Institute is taking a close look at the marketing, promotion, formulation and impact of unhealthy food.|
|Food Security||Analysis of Pandemic EBT, campus food security, and the expansion of SNAP, WIC, etc. are all part of our research portfolio.|
|Other||If you have an idea for a topic not mentioned here, feel free to describe that in your LOI.|
Your LOI should be no longer than 500 words and include the following:
- Why you want to intern with the Institute
- Why you are interested in your chosen topic area
- What, if any, experience you have in the topic area
- Your vision for how this internship will support your academic and professional goals
- Whether you plan to use your internship for a capstone project or other academic requirement
- What skills you would like to improve through this internship
- Whether you have proficiency with GIS, Tableau, R, Python, SAS, SPSS, STATA or other similar software
Required Supporting Information
- Proposed internship schedule (provide specific dates where possible)
- A copy of your resume
- Two References (names, contact information and relationship to you)